Monday, January 21, 2019

hatred is a dangerous force, not merely for the hated, but also the hater. many of the strange things that happen in the subconscious, many of the inner conflicts, are rooted in hate. 
-martin luther king
we live in a system of violence. like martin luther king, i'm proud to be maladjusted to the system.

Modern psychology has a word that is probably used more than any other word in modern psychology. It is the word “maladjusted.” You’ve heard that word. This is the ringing cry of modern child psychology. And certainly we all want to live well-adjusted lives in order to avoid neurotic and schizophrenic personalities. But I must say to you this evening, my friends, as I come to a close, that there are some things in my own nation, and there are some things in the world, to which I am proud to be maladjusted and to which I call upon all men of goodwill to be maladjusted until the good society is realized. I must honestly say to you that I never intend to become adjusted to segregation, discrimination, colonialism and these particular forces. I must honestly say to you that I never intend to adjust myself to religious bigotry. I must honestly say to you that I never intend to adjust myself to economic conditions that will take necessities from the many to give luxuries to the few. I must say to you tonight that I never intend to become adjusted to the madness of militarism and the self-defeating effects of physical violence, for in a day when Sputniks and explorers are dashing through outer space and guided ballistic missiles are carving highways of death through the stratosphere, no nation can win a war. It is no longer the choice between violence and nonviolence; it is either nonviolence or non-existence. And the alternative to disarmament, the alternative to a greater suspension of nuclear tests, the alternative to strengthening the United Nations and thereby disarming the whole world, may well be a civilization plunged into the abyss of annihilation. And I assure you that I will never adjust to the madness of militarism.
You see, it may well be that our whole world is in need at this time for a new organization—the International Association for the Advancement of Creative Maladjustment—

i was wondering if there was such an association today. i realized, duh, there is one right here in chicago, the AACM, but i think it has another acronym, association for the advancement of creative musicians. but there's an international association for the advancement of creative maladjustment in eugene, oregon, a charity and advocacy organization for mental health.

i've always been maladjusted, more or less creatively, and i've made footpaths in areas of mental health, but it's a lifelong struggle, in a system that is devoted to distraction, violence, and insanity, that is indifferent, antithetical, and hostile to mental health and cultural sanity. it's a system based on illness and the undermining of mental and physical health. it's a culture that destroys its own biome.

can we start an iaacm here? what if every place had its own, and all were connected to each other. maybe the maladjusted would save the world from the maleficent.

No comments:

Post a Comment