Wednesday, May 23, 2018


a young mourning dove BORN IN MY HOUSE has walked out the window i accidentally left open.  
HE HAS ALMOST NO TAIL, and colored bands on legs.
knows his name, born inside.
he has NEVER BEEN OUTSIDE. may fly north. young male. knows phrase: "it's only me"

His name is Jaffa 
(? i thought he was bobo? were they a pair?)

PLEASE CAN YOU PUT UP SIGNS NEAR YOU??  I am alone doing this.


please say: LOST small dove:    "Bobo".  
hand-sized!    Tan with black spots.  REWARD.
i'm intrigued by this and by contrast i feel lucky if i only lost a camera. i adore mourning doves. how did she get bobo/ jaffa? as an egg? or did his parents just walk in the window and make a nest? i'll write and ask. 

me: 
one post said his name is jaffa. is this the same as bobo? have you seen him? i wonder if he is looking for a mate?

she:  
i was so scared i put the name wrong.   the boy who walked outside the window is BOBO.  he has yellow and white tags on legs.   he is somewhere nearby around 57 and blackstone, south of intersection  .    there are NO MOURNING DOVES LEFT ALIVE IN HYDE PARK.  the falcons killed them all.   I stupidly left the window open for the first time in many  years and he didn't even notice and just walked out.   his water dish is inside but near the window.  he has a mate, inside.   BoBo was born here 2+ years ago.  he doesn't know cars, dogs, distances, how to find food, nothing.   his "wife" is inside here

me:
ok, i've seen some in the alley between cornell and s. hyde park blvd. i'm at vista homes. i can take a spin around on my bike. i do hope he stays near, and perhaps will return. 

...so now i better do that, and maybe spin by my house to look for my lost camera too. wouldn't it be wonderful if i found bobo and my camera? 

p.s. i didn't find bobo, but i found my camera, i had hung it on my bathroom door when i stopped at home and buzzed my beard. oy. but a mourning dove is another story. completely ignorant of the outside world. it's terrifying even to me. 
jaffa i think is bobo's wife. she's still at home, shaking like mom. 

i hope bobo comes home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment